Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Quick Post!

Well I'm keeping myself super busy! I've been getting my garden ready for planting a bunch of tomato plants (from a friend at church), church meetings, getting ready for Girls Camp, song practice and all the daily life stuff! I'm really trying to post more often.

Ten days ago, my mother in law gave me an Amish Friendship Bread Starter. For those of you that aren't familiar with this type of bread, it is a sweet, cinnamon bread made from a live yeast starter. This process takes ten days and you only used glazed ceramic or plastic bowls...no metal bowls or utensils. Each day you will have instructions to either stir the mixture (or mash in a plastic bag) or add ingredients. On the tenth day, you add a few ingredients and separate the mix into 3 one cup portions w/additional batter remaining for the bread you will be making that day. Some choose to keep one of the three portions for them and then give the remaining 2 to friends. Hence the name!

Now, you don't have to wait until a friend passes a starter along. You can make the starter yourself and start the passing chain!

Ingredients:
Amish Friendship Bread Starter (this is the batter that you are initially given by a friend):
1 tablespoon Active Dry Yeast
2 cups Warm Water — (110 degrees)
1 cup Flour
1 cup Sugar
1 cup Milk

Bread:
1 cup Oil
1 cup Sugar
2 cups Flour
3 Eggs
1 large (5.1) Vanilla Pudding Mix — Instant
2 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 cup Milk
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)

For Amish Friendship Bread Starter:
Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup of the warm water in a deep glass container. Stir
in remaining warm water, flour and sugar. Beat until smooth. Cover. A large
glass jar or bowl with a tight fitting lid works best for this. Because your
first batch of starter contains fresh yeast, you can skip the next set of
directions and go directly to the instructions for splitting your start.


Do not refrigerate! Do not stir with a metal spoon! The starter requires 10
days for fermentation.

Day 1- Begin or receive starter
Day 2-4 Stir (w/wooden spoon) or mash in plastic bag
Day 5- Add 1 cup sugar, 1 cup flour, 1 cup milk
Day 6-9 Stir (w/wooden spoon) or mash in plastic bag
Day 10- Add 1 cup sugar, 1 cup flour, 1 cup milk

Put 1 cup of starter in each of three containers. Give 2 away to friends and
keep one. This will begin their Day 1.

For Amish Friendship Bread:
You will have about 1 cup of batter left besides the 1 cup you have saved for
yourself. To the remaining batter add oil, sugar, flour, baking powder, eggs, milk, vanilla pudding mix, cinnamon, and salt. Beat until well blended. Add one cup nuts, if desired.
Grease 2 loaf pans well and sprinkle with sugar. Pour batter equally into pans. Bake at 325 F degrees for one hour.

My loaf pans are a little bit bigger than the standard ones. I don't know why they are...they are silicon, but I didn't think that would make a big difference. So my loaves turned out a little thinner, but still very delicious. Next time I will just put all the batter into one loaf pan. I'll post a pic soon. For some reason it is not uploading.

1 comment:

shweetpotato said...

I LOVE Cinnamon Friendship Bread :D I have some starter in the freezer, I really should get it out and make a batch, I have it on my blog here
http://chubbagurl.blogspot.com/2008/04/amish-cinnamon-bread.html

Carm