Monday, November 10, 2008

Cake Creation: A Long Time Coming

Another area of design I like is in the confectionery world. I'm pretty good when it comes to candy making and love to create things for others. I've envisioned doing a purse cake for months now. Unfortunately, I didn't have any birthdays going on or special occasion that fit the purse theme...until this past week. One of my good friends had her birthday while I was gone and I thought it would be nice to give her a belated cake (just a few days late).

I hit a lot of bumps in the road and didn't give myself enough time to do it how I wanted. I was thrown off when I found my flour was bad, so I had to use a mix (which isn't ideal for layers). I added some almond flavoring to change the flavor, which helps mask the mix flavor. I also didn't have any of my cookie cutters that I wanted to use with the fondant (I left them all at my mom's!). I can find so many imperfections in my work. The good thing was that I had fun making the fondant and creating the whole cake. There will definitely be more purse cakes to come.

In other news, we just bought a brand new Digital SLR. It is a Nikon D60 package from Costco, so it included 2 different lenses, diffuser, bag, strap, SD card and some DVDs. It is pretty sweet. I can't wait to get out and take some yummy fall pictures.

1 comment: