Thursday, January 15, 2009

Almost time to go!

This week has been such a fun, busy time! I was thinking that I would have much more down time and it has been the complete opposite. We are headed back to reality tomorrow. It will be nice to get back into our routine. The only thing that really stunk on this trip was our car being broken into and gps stolen (the first night we were here). We are staying at a farely nice hotel and we surprised that it happened. We were even more surprised that they had no video survalence where we were parked. They had to go through two different closed compartments to get the gps and charger. They also nabbed my sunglasses! How RUDE?! I guess they were good designer knock offs. We also think they ran out of time because they left the cd front and satelite radio on the front seat. I just wish they would have broken into the driver's side and made the alarm go off. Oh well!

Now on to the good stuff! I loved being so close to a lot of different stores...especially the bookstores. We've spent time in Borders and Barnes & Noble, plus a brief trip to Half-Price Books (all less than a mile from our hotel). I spent the majority of my time in the crafts and cook books. I picked out a stack and found a spot to read. Borders didn't have as many places to sit, so I was on the ground next to the bookcase...with my shoes off. I was in book heaven!

My favorite find was "The Confetti Cakes Cookbook" by Elisa Strauss. I'd seen Elisa's work atleast five years ago on the Food Network and she seemed to pop up on a lot of different shows since then. When I saw the book, I was so excited to see a purse cake and instructions for it. When I created one a few months back, it was all trial and error and something I just made up on my own. Anyway, Elisa's book has several recipes that they use at her bakery, Confetti Cakes. Plus it covers cupcakes and cookies, too. She has a really cute cookie creation using stacked sugar cookies to make a mini tiered wedding cake...so cute!

I also would like to check out her newest book, "Confetti Cakes for Kids"...just ran out of time.

No comments: