Friday, January 2, 2009

Wrapped

I'm a big fan of wire wrapped jewelry and I often get asked on how to make it. I taught my mom early this year and she was able to teach a bunch of older girls at camp. It became a treasured item for each of the girls. I want to share with you some information on how to and where to get good beads.

My parents live near one of the biggest bead shops I have seen, Shipwreck Beads. It is actually more like a warehouse. The first couple of visits are little overwhelming, because there is so much stuff! They provide carts with maps, so you can navigate to what you are looking for. I think they are really reasonable when it comes to prices and quality. I try to make it there every time I visit, but that doesn't always happen. Luckily, if you can't make it to the store, you can get everything online!

I've seen a couple different tutorials on making wire jewelry, but my favorite comes from Auntie's Beads (which sells bead supplies too). They have a bunch of jewelry making video tutorials, including wire wrapped rings. In the video, they demonstrate three different ways to wrap (depending on the bead). Once you get the basics down, they offer instructions for other versions of wrapped rings.

For Christmas, I made some wire wrapped sets with rings and earrings. I like how versatile the sets could be by changing the beads. That way I could make several sets, but they all could be unique and different.

No comments: