Friday, March 13, 2009

Simple Cornbread

I come from a family of good cooks. My mom always made sure to have a stool up to the counter so we could be involved. We sure made big messes! She would always let us experiment and try new things. I've carried it on into my adult life. I experiment with new flavors all the time. I enjoy cooking for others and I've been doing it a lot lately! I've got some of my own creations I'll share in the coming months!

A favorite for my hunny is fresh-out-of-the-oven cornbread. I think it is one of those recipes that is best with simple ingredients. I can't have it (darn you wheat!), but I've tested a couple recipes for my hunny and this is his favorite one so far. It is just as easy as using a box mix, but much better for you.



* 1/2 cup cornmeal
* 1 1/2 cups flour
* 2/3 cup sugar
* 1 tablespoon baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/3 cup oil
* 3 tablespoons melted butter
* 1 tablespoon honey
* 2 eggs, beaten
* 1 1/4 cups milk

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350ยบ.
  2. In a bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
  3. Add the oil, melted butter, honey, eggs, and milk.
  4. Pour into a greased 8-inch square pan.
  5. Bake for 35 minutes.
A few things that I found helpful was that using a medium grain cornmeal seemed to produce a nice texture and held together well when serving. The other important tip is try not to over bake it. An extra minute or two can lead to dry cornbread. You may want to use a toothpick to test it around 30 minutes. I also like to serve it with some Agave drizzled on top.

4 comments:

Rhonda said...

I tasted a friend's cornbread, and had to ask her for the recipe, because it was so soft and sweet. It included a small box corn bread mix, 1 box yellow cake mix. I'll have to ask her again how much water, etc.! But, it sounds like yours would be as soft and sweet!

Jess said...

Rhonda- I like recipes that make additions to box mixes. It usually makes the end result much better. I'd love to hear about your recipe!

Rhonda said...

My friend's recipe: 3 boxes Betty Crocker corn muffin mix, 1 cup yellow cake mix. Mix according to recipe for corn muffins. (May need a little more liquid, but not much.)
-Rhonda

Jess said...

Thanks for the recipe. I'll have to try that sometime. We might have a chili cook off coming up and that would be perfect for an event like that.