Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Gramma Bell's Cookies

I've been blessed with two wonderful Gramma's. One I've lived closed to most of my life and the other one a little farther away in beautiful Wyoming. The one I've lived close to passed away this past Christmas. It was her favorite season and she always knew how to make it special. For forty years she made hundreds of chocolates to box up for Christmas presents for friends, family, doctors, etc. I was fortunate enough to learn her craft before she was unable to make them anymore (that will be another post). Another holiday memory and favorite was her sugar cookies. When I was younger and lived further away, she would always send my family a box of goodies every holiday. The staple (& most coveted) goodie would be the sugar cookies. They were thick and soft and delicious (frosted or plain)!

Naturally, it is the only sugar cookie recipe I have ever used. They are gobbled up every time I make them. Even though I can't eat them anymore (because of the wheat), I still enjoy making them. It always makes me happy when I make them and it makes me feel like my gramma is there (who I miss dearly). She was always willing to share her recipes and I thought that I would give tribute to my gramma by sharing her recipe on my blog. Hopefully it will bring you a bit of happiness, too :) She named the cookies "Holidays".

Gramma Bell's Holidays

1 c. butter/margarine

2/3 c. sugar

1 egg

1 tsp almond extract

2 1/2 c. sifted flour

1/2 tsp baking powder

Cream together butter and sugar. Beat in egg and almond extract. Sift together flour and baking powder. Stir into butter mixture and mix well. Roll out on lightly floured board (counter) and cut with cookie cutters. Bake at 350 for 7-10 minutes or until the edges are lightly brown.

3 comments:

Kristin said...

Those look very good! Is there a special frosting for them too? One of my grandmas gave my mom a recipe for Pistacho Bread before she passed away. It's made every Christmas. My mom gave me the recipe and I make it now too :-)

Amy said...

Looks good enough to eat. Mmmm.

Anonymous said...

Great picture of my mom! When did you take that? And the cookies, still my favorite. I'm salivating just thinking about them!
Jan