Saturday, March 31, 2012

Easy Agave Marshmallows

A couple years ago, I was looking for treats that didn't have highly refined sugars.  I really liked marshmallows and I was tickled pink to find a recipe for ones made with agave nectar.  They turned out beautifully on the first try and my husband even likes them better than regular marshmallows.  I started to blog about these delectable treats back in early 2009, but never published the post.

Since that time, I've experimented with variations and different flavors.  My favorite is a vanilla bean marshmallow with toasted coconut.  The agave lends a nice, subtle flavor.  It is much stronger when you first whip up a batch, but it mellows as it sets up.  I'm almost sure you could replicate this recipe with honey in place of agave, if you don't like agave or don't have any on hand.  These are really simple and easy to make if you haven't made marshmallows before.  You don't have to worry about cooking a sugar syrup to a certain degree, which also eliminates the need of a candy thermometer. 

 On a side note, there is a new recipe book out dedicated to marshmallows of all shaped and kind, called "Marshmallow Madness! by Shauna Sever".  I can't wait to get my hands on it and review it!

No comments: